|This short-grass prairie region is a place to revel in the beautiful Western Kansas seasons and a place that welcomes people with varied interests, talents, and skills. Quinter, Kansas, located on I-70 halfway between Kansas City and Denver, is home to over 800 residents. Historically a farming community, Quinter generates commerce through its small industry and ever-expanding Main Street businesses. Exceptional health care can be found at the Gove County Hospital, offering both long-term care and independent living facilities. Public education and licensed daycare centers provide Quinter children with quality learning and educational opportunities. Quinter's versatility and hometown appeal make it a staple among Western Kansas cities. Once you visit Quinter, Kansas and stay long enough to get to know this compassionate community, you won't want to leave!
Zip Code: 67752
Elevation: 2,665 ft
Average Annual Rainfall: 22"
Days of Sunshine: 237 days
Location: Located on I-70, exit 107. Hays, KS is 52 miles away.
- Named after the minister James B. Quinter.
- First House built by R.W. Cook, first store opened by John K. Wickizer, first hotel kept by J.H. Baker, and the first newspaper The Settler's Guide established in 1886.
- Shortest Highway in the United States (Highway 212)
- Jay Johnson Public Library - over 17,000 patron visits per year, video-viewing area, community meeting room, a children's place, computer and internet access & a local history collection
Famous or Noteworthy People:
- 2009 1A State Champions, Football
- 2009 1A 4th place, Boys Basketball
- 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2004 State Champions - Forensics
- 2008 & 2005 State Runners-up - Forensics
- 2004 2A State Champions, Boys Basketball
- Waldo McBurney – known as the "Oldest Worker in America" and as a world class athlete. View information about the Annual Waldo McBurney Race on the Castle Rock Wellness Center page.
- Scott Huffman – Olympic Pole Vaulter
- Nicknamed the "half mile high city" since it is a half mile above sea level.
- Known as "Gateway to Castle Rock"
- "A Feeling of Home"
Castle Rock- located 14 miles south of I-70 at Quinter