Attractions / Landmarks:
Bas Relief - mural depicts the history of Baxter Springs on the exterior of the American Bank
Big Brutus - world's second largest electric mining shovel; "West Mineral, Kansas", 620-827-6177
Bilke's Western Museum - traces the roots of the first Cowtown in Kansas with a full-size mural of the longhorn cattle drive on the side of the building. Jim Bilke's personal western collection is located upstairs and features antique bits, spurs, saddles, and more. Located on Route 66 at 11th.
Black Dog Trail - on the grounds of the Historical Museum, it commemorates the trail opened in 1803 by Chief Black Dog and his band of Osage Indians who lived in a nearby village.
Carona Train Depot - Heartland Railroad Club, formed in 1991, established a museum to preserve and display railroad memorabilia.
Civil War Tour - self-guided Civil War tour of Baxter Springs with 12 points of interest relating to the attack on Ft. Blair and the Battle of Baxter Springs. Maps are available at the Historical Museum, Chamber of Commerce, or downtown restaurants.
DAR Marker - dedicated in memory of General James G. Blunt and his escorts who were brutally attacked by guerrillas led by Quantrill in the Baxter Springs Massacre on October 6, 1863. Located one block west of Route 66 at 10th & Park at the Johnston Public Library.
Ft. Blair Site - site of the Ft. Blair fort which was attacked on October 6, 1863 by Quantrill and Confederate guerillas. This attack was known as the Baxter Springs Massacre.
Heritage Center & Museum - Exhibits depict the various stages of the city's vast history from the days of the Osage Indians through the Civil War and the lead and zinc mining era. Exhibits include: an authentic Victorian Parlor, a reconstructed pre-Civil War Cabin, a full-scale replica of a Tri-State lead and zinc mine, Wedding Finery through the years, wooden sidewalks lining historical Military Road, and the Blacksmith Shop. Located one block east of Route 66 at 8th & East Ave., 620-856-2385
Heritage Museum Log Cabin - Built by R. A. Hibbard east of the Lowell Cemetery in the 1870s. Purchased by Kent Lynch who donated the cabin to the Historical Society in memory of Marsah Moncrief Lynch. Cabin was rebuilt on this site in 1987. Located on the grounds of the Historical Museum.
Historic Walking Tour - Store fronts on either side of Military Avenue display framed accounts of the original occupants of each store and significant historical events.
Johnston Public Library - Built in 1872, it was initially built as the County Courthouse but was never used for that purpose. Through the years, the building has been a city hall, theater, and a college. In 1905, Peter Nils Johnston, a Swedish immigrant, provided a bequest for the city to establish a permanent library in the building. Located one block west of Route 66 at 10th & Park Ave.
Little League Museum - Displays awards and memorabilia of local sports heroes such as Mickey Mantle and Hale Irwin. Located at 14th and Grant.
Longhorn Cattle Drive - 1991 painting on the exterior wall of Bilke's Western Museum - Artist John Gibbons
Mined Wildlife Area - 13,000 acres of land and 1,500 acres of water provides some of the best hunting and fishing in the area
National Cemetery - soldier's plot designated by the federal government after the Civil War. Soldier's monument erected in the spring of 1870. Bodies of massacre victims were reinterred in a common grave. Monument is engraved with the names of the 88 victims.
Rainbow Bridge - the only remaining Marsh Arch bridge - located 1.5 miles north of Baxter Springs
Route 66 Museum - 940 Military Ave., 620-856-2066
Tri-State Marker - meeting point of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri.
Veterans' Memorial - Honoring local Veteran's who have served or who are currently serving our country both at home and abroad. This awe-inspiring memorial was awarded the Best Civic Memorial recognition by the Monument Builders of North America. Located at 13th and Park Ave.